Stupid in Love


Remember those old Hollywood movies with beautiful ladies in distress, saved by strong, charismatic men? God, I hated them, especially when following the script, women had to look both pretty and stupid. Well, that was then, before I fell in love and discovered love can really make you look ridiculous. I met him a couple of months ago at a party (not as glamorous as a movie scene but really common nowadays). He is a friend of a cousin of a friend. I know, still not glamorous. I don't remember much of this "first date" but if it made him call me back next day, it must have been good. So we started going out a lot, hanging at each other's places, you know, the usual stuff. Or at least it looked normal... until my friends got upset because I stopped going out with them, my mom started to think I'm so broke I couldn't afford calling her to see how she was and started sending me money, and I had to give away my cat, Doris, because of his allergies. As if this wasn't enough, I started looking for recipes online and took personal days so I could cook him fancy diners. Also, I have been leaving notes with love poems for him on the fridge every morning. At least I didn't actually write them, click here if you want to see my favorite website nowadays. So here I am, two months later, I gained 6 pounds, lost 2 friends, and learned a bunch of love poems for him by heart. The point is love can make do stupid things. Better yet, love makes you stupid. I don't know if it's good, or bad, but I do know it turns your life and your priorities upside down. I'm not even sure if he's the one I want to spend my life with, and I am making real efforts to imagine him bold and fat so I could figure it out. Anyway, call me stupid, but I love my life as it is right now, it feels good having the other half to lean on and... I never really dreamed of applying to Harvard.